The application process for becoming a Google Developer Student Clubs Lead
This is Rohit, With the Google Developer Student Clubs Lead application process going on, I thought of writing an article for guiding all the interested students! 😃
Why am I the right person for sharing this information?
I have been the Google Developer Student Clubs Lead for my college during the year 2021–22. I am 1 of the 354 leads from all over India who got selected. I along with my team conducted 14+ sessions related to a variety of technologies with 2000+ beneficiaries!! (kudos to my amazing team )😎
Before moving to the questions like Who is a Lead? What are his/her responsibilities? etc. It is necessary to know what is meant by GDSC?
What is Google Developer Student Clubs?
Google Developer Student Clubs are university based community groups for students interested in Google developer technologies. Students from all undergraduate or graduate programs with an interest in growing as a developer are welcome. By joining a GDSC, students grow their knowledge in a peer-to-peer learning environment and build solutions for local businesses and their community.
Who is a GDSC Lead?
GDSC Leads are the individuals who spearhead the club. They are selected through a 2 Stage application process(will be sharing more about this shortly). They are the ones who are willing to contribute to the student or tech community. The main motive of a Lead must be to identify the gap between college & industry requirements and help his/her peers or juniors to fill this gap.
You may ask “What are the responsibilities of a lead?”
No written documentation can answer this question end to end but I will list down some of the responsibilities of a lead as per my experience :
- Host workshops in your college
- Build solutions to local problems with your team or friends
- Forming & managing a team that will help you with everything right from making posters, publicity, marketing & sponsorships, etc
- Create awareness about Google Technologies through hands-on sessions
- Building a strong technical community in your college
Alright!! Enough about responsibilities, let’s talk about the perks of being a GDSC Lead :
Some of the perks of being a GDSC Lead are :
- Professional Growth: Access to management & technical training to help you become a better leader
- Networking Opportunities: Access to a global network of student leaders, professional community organizers, industry experts, and Googlers to gain mentorship and share knowledge.
- Community Learning: Learn new technologies through a peer-to-peer learning system.
- Be the driving force in helping and uplifting your community.
- Awesome Schwags & goodies (the only reason that this point is at the last is that goodies shouldn’t be your only motive for becoming a lead)
How to become a GDSC Lead?
The application process for GDSC Leads starts in March (may vary according to region). The application process is divided into 2 stages.
Let’s decode these stages :
STAGE 1 :
In stage 1 you need to fill out a form on the official website. The form consists of questions like :
1. What is your motivation to run a Google Developer Student Club?
2. What is your experience in leading a project or a team?
3. What technology do you find most interesting and why? What is your experience with this technology?
and a few more questions. Make sure you answer these questions with utmost honesty and don't copy answers of them from the internet.
Also, you need to submit a 90 secs video talking about yourself, your motives, plans, etc.
Many of the aspirants are confused about presenting all the important points in these 90secs. Here’s what I did :
I divided the video into 30–30–30 sec patches. In the first 30s, I introduced myself, in the next 30s I talked about the technology I like and lastly about what impact I would like to bring as a GDSC Lead.
You can check out my video below (PS: ignore the slight background noise in the video😐)
If you clear Stage 1 then you will receive an interview invitation as your next step.
STAGE 2 :
In stage 2 you will have to book a slot in the calendar invite for an interview.
Over here I will be sharing my personal experience and this may vary from person to person.
I had my interview on 19th May 2021 at 5:30 pm. The interviewer asked me questions about my internships, hobbies, why am I the perfect fit for being a GDSC Lead, and What issues I would like to solve as a Lead?
I was also asked about my Tech-Stack and some of the projects. I explained one of my favorite projects to the interview completely. The interview lasted for about 40mins and the interviewer was extremely humble!!
You will receive an email regarding your acceptance or rejection in 1 or 1.5/2 months (may vary).
Irrespective of the outcome of your application, keep contributing to the community. Believe more in Collaboration over Competition. Help your peers, build new projects because that is the only way to learn new things and grow!!
If you have any doubts then feel free to DM me on Linkedin !! Peace out.